Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hacking the WGR614v10 - Part 1

Enabling telnet Access

I recently got a new WRG614(v10) wireless router. Naturally, I wasn't content leaving it be, so I decided to see what sort of hacks were available. My first want was to replace the factory default firmware with an open source one, such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT. Sadly, I could not find a release for the WGR614v10. After a little more hack searching, I came across this: "hacking the WGR614v7" (enabling telnet access on the router). "This looks interesting", I thought, "let's give it a try." I downloaded the source code and compiled it under BackTrack 4. It compiled successfully on the first go, albeit with a few innocuous warnings.

Bingo! Works like a charm.
Holy haberdashery, Batman! It's running BusyBox 0.60.0 (rel. August 2, 2001). At present, the stable is 1.16.2 (rel. June 12, 2010)! I believe v10 of the WGR614 was released in the mid to latter part of '09. Hmmm?
If you want to try this but don't have Linux on your system and/or don't want to hassle with installing a second OS, you can use a virtual machine such as VMware Player (free). Using VMware Player will (should) allow you to load and run the Linux distro of your choice, not to mention a number of other operating systems (i.e. Windows XP/2000/7, Mac Os X, Chrome OS, etc). You also might try Cygwin, although, I have not tested this under Cygwin so I cannot guarantee a smooth compile.

*Wesley hopes a v10 open source firmware comes available soon :)*



5 comments:

  1. Great job Wendy! So smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the smart part, but ty for the compliment. :)

      Delete
  2. Wesley did you find any v10 open source firmwares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. I switched to uVerse and now I'm rocking a 2Wire 9xx or something... bleh. Not a fan of the 2Wire so much.

      Delete
  3. Windows Version: http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/10602/NETGEAR-Telnet-Enable-Utility/

    ReplyDelete